WBCHSE Class XI English Textual Grammar of Karma: Narration Change with Answers:
Speech change/ Narration from “Karma”
➤”You are a bit of alright, old chap,” it said.
– It addressed Sir Mohan as old chap and said that he was a bit of all right.
➤”Are the trains very crowded on these lines?” Lady Lal said.
– Lady Lal asked if the trains were very crowded on those lines.
➤The coolie said, “Are you travelling alone, sister?”
– Addressing Lachmi as sister the coolie asked if she was travelling alone.
➤She said, “No, I am with my master, brother.”
– Addressing the coolie as brother she replied that she did not, and said that she was with her master.
➤”Where does the zenana stop?” she said.
– She asked him where the zenana stopped.
➤”Keep yer ruddy mouth shut!” Jim said.
– Jim ordered him angrily to keep his ruddy mouth shut.
➤The coolie said, “These days all trains are crowded, but you’ll find room in the zenana.”
– The coolie replied that those days all trains were crowded, but she would find room in the zenana.
➤She said, “I can’t understand English and I don’t know their ways.”
– She said that she could not understand English and she did not know their ways.
➤”Get the nigger out,” he muttered to his companion.
He muttered to his companion to get the nigger out.
➤”You are so very much like everything else in this country, inefficient, dirty, indifferent.” he murmured.
– He murmured that it (the mirror) was so very much like everything else in that country, inefficient, dirty, indifferent.
➤”Ek chota”, ordered Sir Mohan.
– Sir Mohan ordered to serve him ek chota.
➤ “He is a vizier and a barrister and meets so many officers and Englishmen in the trains.” Lachmi said.
– Lachmi said that He was a vizier and a barrister and met so many officers and Englishmen in the trains.
➤ “Preposterous, preposterous,” he shouted, hoarse with anger.
-He hoarsely shouted with anger that it was preposterous.
➤”I’ll have you arrested – guard, guard!”, Sir Mohan shouted.
– Sir Mohan shouted to call the guard twice and said that he would have them arrested.