Textual Grammar Class 11: Voice Change from ‘Karma’ by Khushwant Singh | Karma by Khushwant Singh: Textual Grammar Class XI WBCHSE | WBCHSE Class 11th Voice Change QNA.
Voice change from “Karma”:
► Sir Mohan threw out his chest.
-Sir Mohan’s chest was thrown out by him.
► Sir Mohan smoothed his Balliol tie.
-Sir Mohan’s Balliol tie was smoothed by him.
► She wore a dirty white sari with a red border.
– A dirty white sari with a red border was worn by her.
► She hailed a passing railway coolie.
-A passing railway coolie was hailed by her.
► The coolie flattened his turban to make a cushion.
-The coolie’s turban was flattened by him to make a cushion.
► The coolie hoisted the steel trunk on his head.
– The steel trunk was hoisted by the coolie on his head.
►Lady Lal picked up her brass tiffin carrier.
– Lady Lal’s brass tiffin carrier was picked up by her.
►She sat down on her steel trunk which the coolie had put down.
– She sat down on her steel trunk which had been put down by the coolie.
►You’ll find room in the zenana.
– Room in the zenana will be found by you.
►Then I might as well get over the bother of eating.
– Then the bother of eating might as well be got over by me.
►Lady Lal opened the brass carrier and took out a bundle of cramped chapattis.
-The brass carrier was opened and a bundle of cramped chapattis was taken out by Lady Lal.
►I can’t understand English and don’t know their ways.
– English can’t be understood by me and their ways are not known to me.
►He did not like her poor illiterate relatives.
Her poor illiterate relatives were not liked by him.
►The clanging of the bell announced the approaching train.
-The approaching train was announced by the clanging of the bell.
►She found a seat by the window.
– A seat was found by her by the window.
► She produced a two-anna bit from a knot in her sari and dismissed the coolie.
– A two-anna bit was produced from a knot in her sari and the coolie was dismissed by her.
►She then opened her betel case.
-Her betel case was then opened by her.
►These she thrust into her mouth.
– These were thrust into her mouth by her.
►The arrival of the train did not disturb Sir Mohan Lal’s sang-froid.
-Sir Mohan Lal’s sang-froid was not disturbed by the arrival of the train.
► He wanted everything ‘tickety-boo’ and orderly.
– Everything was wanted ‘tickety-boo’ and orderly by him.
► In his five years abroad, Sir Mohan had acquired the manners and attitudes of the upper classes.
-In his five years abroad the manners and attitudes of the upper classes had been acquired by Sir Mohan Lal.
► He rarely spoke Hindustani.
– Hindustani was rarely spoken by him.
►I’ve finished with it.
-It has been finished with by me.
► Perhaps someone would recognize his Balliol tie.
– Perhaps his Balliol tie would be recognized.